Sunday, March 13, 2016

Just Dance: 5 Important Ways to Make it As a Dynamic Dance Teacher








Just Dance: 5 Ways to Be a Dynamic Dance Teacher 


Blog inspired by Cantralia of the "Just Dance" Studio in Raleigh, NC by LaTonia Stubbs




  •  Keep a Close Circle of People: Ever hear the phrase "people make the world go 'round?" Well this is also true for the dance teacher/studio owner. First of all, in the close circle of people, they need some trustworthy/dependable staff members and reliable friends. Dynamic Dance Teachers  such as Cantralia Preston - Owner of "Just Dance"  cannot make it without that consistent help of the staff members. It's stressful for studio owners to look up and see that a teacher has moved or decided to open up their own studio- without warning. The time is usually only a few hours a week after school so there is a great need for dependable staff. It's very hurtful when former staff people want to"recruit" some of your "customers". Dynamic Dance Teachers also need to be able to depend on staff to be there to help make things run more smoothly during rehearsalscompetitions, etc. Dynamic Dance Teachers need Dynamic friends and family in the close circle of people in order to keep up with bills, support and comfort. There will be times when friends and family will need to step in and "Save" you monetarily, emotionally, mentally, physically, etc. Trials and tribulations come up when you least expect it. A dance competition may be held in California and your studio is located on the East Coast with 100 girls and a $3000 budget. In addition, one child may have a hole in her tights right before a competition; one child may need a leotard and ballet slippers for a competition but can't afford to buy both; and one child may be struggling to get to rehearsals, but needs you to help provide transportation for about a month. Your dancers ultimately become like your own children. Friends and family should be available to help alleviate some of the "unexpected" stress so that you can be Dynamic! 

  • Keep Your Head Up: "Practice what you preach." Keep Your Head up and Smile! Isn't that what a Dance teacher tells her little ones as they glide across the floor in their leotards? Or as the preteens perform a hip hop dance ? Or as the teenagers perform a Jazz routine?  Think about it... if your students are in pain or not feeling well from a sprained ankle during rehearsal- they are told to fight through the pain. As a Dynamic Dance Teacher you have to know that through the tough times you have to keep your Head Up and Smile! Remember...you have been given a gift that many people wish they had! The gift of dance! I can't help but think about the television show "Dancing with the Stars." Most of those celebrities have never set foot on a dance floor...let alone a ballroom. It is awesome to be able to- not only dance- but to HELP those who are ready and willing dance. Keeping Your Head Up is also important considering the young population that is being served. It is not easy to tell yourself, you're going to go into the studio and work with 5-15 year olds, who are super energetic. It is going to require LOTS OF PATIENCE! It's also not easy to go to your studio...pay attention to parents' concerns (sometimes criticizing you)  and make the children learn a new dance in one day. But in order to accomplish the goal of being a Dynamic Dance Teacher, your Head should be High! Remember you have so much to be grateful for and a talent many wish they had!

  • Have Boundaries:  "People will treat you the way you let them." In an effort to still have a personal life, it is important that a Dynamic Dance Teacher learn how to set boundaries. Make sure that your life as a teacher doesn't conflict with your personal life. Boundaries keep order and help you achieve your daily goals. For instance, if your son has a birthday party coming up, you need to clear your calendar for that birthday party. Keep your promises to your Biological family as well as your Studio family...people are way more understanding than you think...Its okay to "Just say No!" In addition, parents need to realize one thing: Respect your time. It is a Blessing to have supportive, patient, considerate, understanding parents who will respect the quick second that is available. It's fine if they want to talk about their child and advocate for their little ones.. but only within a reasonable amount of time. Communicate to them that they need to set up an appointment if they have a serious concern or something is really bothering them.  It is quite hilarious to look at the Lifetime dance reality show called "Bring It" and how the parents are often barging in on rehearsals. Boundaries were "set" in order for "their" daughters to "win!" Have Boundaries!!!!

  • Be Creative:  "Creativity takes courage"  Cantralia Preston - Owner of "Just Dance" The proper choreography for her Dancers is essential for a Dynamic Dance Teacher like Cantralia. She remains consistent in creating a dance that is relevant to this generation, while keeping her own signature of style and dance. Your brand is your creativity. Just Dance Studio prepares Cantraila's students for a chance to compete against the best of the best in Ballet, Jazz, Tap, Hip Hop...Its a diversity that includes the energy, style and grace to keep everyone's attention. 
  • Dare to Be Different:  As I think about being different, I think about individuality... I think about Maya Angelou and her tough, never give up spirit. Maya Angelou quoted "My life has been one great big joke, a dance that's walked a song that's spoke, I laugh so hard I almost choke when I think about myself." Every student on the dance floor has the potential to be pushed to be great. There is no difference between a great football player and a great ballet dancer. They both require a champion, a winner....and in order to do that they need a great coach and teacher. 
  • Summary: Cantralia is a Dynamic Dance Teacher,  I agree with her talents as she is an inspiration to me...as a woman...as a black woman...There is only one word that sums up Cantralia Preston...Dynamic Dance Teacher! Cantralia Just Dance Studio in Raleigh NC...I can only imagine the great times she's had with her girls. The experience she has had since being a Dance teacher has not just jumped into her lap..but instead began as a child...we are ALL destined for greatness...we ALL have a purpose...It's just that sometimes it takes some longer than others to find PURPOSE. With her Wisdom and Grace...It is only fitting for me to do a Blog for the JUST DANCE STUDIO!














Phenomenal Woman

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size 
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms,
The span of my hips, 
The stride of my step, 
The curl of my lips. 
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman, 
That's me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please, 
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees. 
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees. 
I say,
It's the fire in my eyes, 
And the flash of my teeth, 
The swing in my waist, 
And the joy in my feet. 
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Men themselves have wondered 
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them, 
They say they still can't see. 
I say,
It's in the arch of my back, 
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed. 
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud. 
When you see me passing,
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels, 
The bend of my hair, 
The palm of my hand, 
The need for my care. 
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.
—Maya Angelou

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/spirit/Phenomenal-Woman-by-Maya-Angelou#ixzz42cq6nu13







No comments:

Post a Comment